Balbharti Maharashtra State Board Class 7 History Solutions Chapter 5 The Foundation of the Swaraj Notes, Textbook Exercise Important Questions and Answers.
Maharashtra State Board Class 7 History Solutions Chapter 5 The Foundation of the Swaraj
Class 7 History Chapter 5 The Foundation of the Swaraj Textbook Questions and Answers
1. Find the odd man out:
Pune, Supe, Chakan, Bengaluru
Jadhavs of Phaltan, Mores of Javali, Ghorpades of Mudhol, Sawants of Sawantwadi
Jadhavs of Phaltan
Torana, Murumbdev, Sinhgad,Sindhudurg
2. Write about in your words:
The efforts Veermata Jijabai took for Shivaji Maharaj’s education.
The following were the efforts Veermata Jijabai took for Shivaji Maharaj’s education.
(i) She instilled in Shivaji the values like modesty, vigilance, truthfulness, oratory, courage and fearlessness.
(ii) She inspired the will to win the dream of Swaraj.
Shivaji Maharaj started his work of founding Swaraj in the Maval region.
(i) The Maval terrain was full of hills and valleys and was not easily accessible.
(ii) He made use of these geographical features of Maval very skilfully for the purpose of the foundation of the Swaraj.
3. List the companions and associates of Shivaji Maharaj.
- Yesaji Kank
- Baji Pasalkar
- Bapuji Mudgal
- Kavji Kondhalkar
- Jiva Mahala
- Tanaji Malusare
- Kanhoji Jedhe
- Bajiprabhu Deshpande
- Dadaji Narasprabhu Deshpande.
- Narhekar Deshpande brothers
4. Find out and write:
Why Shahaji Maharaj is termed Swaraj visionary.
(i) Shahajiraje was valiant, courageous, intelligent a great political expert.
(ii) He was an excellent archer.
(iii) He was also an expert in using the sword, patta and spear.
(iv) He loved his subjects.
(v) He had won many regions in Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. South India was in awe of him.
(vi) While Shivaji and Jijabai were at Bengaluru he had arranged for providing excellent education to Shivaji so as to enable him to become a king.
(vii) He himself aspired to established Swaraj by ousting the powers of foreign people. That is why he is known as Swaraj visionary.
Shivaji Maharaj paid attention to building a Navy.
(i) After the conquest of Javali, Kalyan, Bhiwandi, Shivaji Maharaj came in contact with the Siddi, Portuguese and British power on the western Coast.
(ii) He realized that in order to fight these powers, it was necessary to have a strong naval force. Hence Shivaji Maharaj paid attention to raise a Navy.
Shivaji Maharaj entered into a treaty with the Adilshah.
(i) On one hand, Aurangzeb had Sent Shaistakhan to invade the Pune Province and on other hand the conflict with Adilshah continued.
(ii) Therefore, Shivaji Maharaj realized that it would hot be prudent to fight both the enemies at the same time.
Therefore Shivaji Maharaj entered into a treaty with the Adilshah.
How did Shivaji Maharaj escape from Panhalgad?
(i) When Shivaji Maharaj took shelter in Panhala fort, Siddi soldiers laid siege to the fort for about five months.
(ii) Shivaji Maharaj found himself trapped inside the fort.
(iii) Netoji Palkar tried to raise the siege by attacking Siddi’s army from outside.
(iv) He couldn’t succeed as his forces were meagre (inadequate)
(v) Siddi showed no sign of relenting so he decided to have open talks with him.
(vi) Shiva Kashid, a brave youth who resembled Shivaji Maharaj in looks came forward.
(vii) He dressed up like Shivaji Maharaj and sat in a palanquin.
(viii) The palanquin left by the Raj-dindi gate and was captured by Siddi’s army and Kashid sacrificed himself for Swaraj.
(ix) In the meanwhile, Shivaji Maharaj left the fort using another route.
- Describe a fort you have seen. Suggest measures for conserving a historical site.
- Find out what a 7/12 extract means and relate it to the words in the chapter.
Class 7 History Chapter 5 The Foundation of the Swaraj Additional Important Questions and Answers
Complete the sentence by choosing the appropriate words from the options given below:
Shivaji Maharaj started the work of establishing Swaraj in the ______ region. (Maval, Javali, Chakan)
Jijabai was the daughter of the great Sardar ______ (Shahajiraje, Netaji Palkar, Lakhujiraje)
______ was the first capital of Swaraj. (Pratapgad, Rajgad, Panhala)
Shivaji Maharaj renamed Khelna as ______.(Vishalgad, Pratapgad, Rajgad)
The Adilshah gave Siddi the title of _____ (Salabatkhan, Adilshahi, Nizamshahi)
Badi Sahiba sent ______ to curb Shivaji Maharaj. (Nizamshah, Afzalkhan, Shaistakhan)
________ was a pre-eminent Sardar in the Deccan.(Lakhujiraje, Bajiprabhu Deshpande, Shahajiraje)
The Nizamshahi came to an’end in _______. (1636 CE, 1648 CE, 1630 CE)
Shahajiraje sent ______ and _______ from Bangalore to Pune with some loyal and competent associates. (Yesaji Rank and Jiva Mahala, Dalvi and Surve, Shivaji and Jijabai)
Shivaji and Jijabai
Shivaji Maharaj took shelter in the _______ Fort. (Rajgad, Panhala, Vishalgad)
Match the following:
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|(1) Nizamshahi came to an end||(a) 1660 CE|
|(2) Shivaji’s birth date||(b) 10th November 1659|
|(3) A meeting between Shivaji and Afzalkhan||(c) 1636 CE|
|(4) Siddi Jauhar attacked on Shivaji Maharaj||(d) 19th February 1630.|
1 – c
2 – d
3 – b
4 – a
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|(1) Shivneri||(a) Javali Valley|
|(2) Pratapgad||(b) Siege by Siddi Jauhar|
|(3) Raigad||(c) Birth place of Shivaji Maharaj|
|(4) Panhalgad||(d) The first capital of the Swaraj|
1 – c
2 – a
3 – d
4 – b
Arrange in chronological order:
(i) A treaty with Adilshah
(ii) Defeat of Afzalkhan
(iii) Shivaji Maharaj captured Javali
(iv) Shivaji Maharaj escaped from Panhala Fort
(i) Shivaji Maharaj captured Javali
(ii) Defeat of Afzalkhan
(iii) Shivaji Maharaj escaped from Panhala Fort
(iv) A treaty with Adilshah
(i) Meeting with Afzalkhan
(ii) End of Nizamshahi
(iii) Siege to Panhala
(iv) Attack on Javali
(i) End of Nizamshahi (1636 CE)
(ii) Attack on Javali (1656 CE)
(iii) Meeting with Afzalkhan (1659 CE)
(iv) Siege to Panhala (1660 CE)
(i) Siddi Jauhar marched against Shivaji Maharaj
(ii) Birth of Shivaji Maharaj
(iii) Shivaji Maharaj built Pratapgad
(iv) Shahajiraje became a Sardar of Adilshah
(i) Birth of Shivaji Maharaj
(ii) Shahajiraje became a Sardar of Adilshah
(iii) Shivaji Maharaj built Pratapgad
(iv) Siddi Jauhar marched against Shivaji Maharaj
Answer the following in one sentence:
What were the extraordinary qualities of Shahajiraje.
Shahajiraje was a valiant, courageous, intelligent and a great political leader.
Which Jagirs were granted to Shahajiraje from Nizamshah?
Shahajiraje was granted the jagirs of Pune, Supe, Indapur and Chakan parganas located between the Bheema and Neera rivers.
Who was Afzalkhan?
Afzalkhan was a powerful and experienced Adilshahi General.
Which forts did Shivaji Maharaj capture while laying the foundation of Swaraj?
Shivaji Maharaj captured the forts of Torana, Murumbdev, Kondhana and Purandar while laying the foundation of Swaraj.
Whom did Shahajiraje entrust the jagir of Pune?
Shahajiraje entrusted the jagir of Pune to Shivajiraje and Veermata Jijabai.
Who was looking after the administration of the Adilshahi?
Badi Sahiba was looking after the administration of the Adilshahi.
Whom did Badi Sahiba send to curb Shivaji Maharaj?
Badi Sahiba sent Afzalkhan, a powerful and experienced Adilshahi General to curb Shivaji Maharaj.
What is inscribed on the Royal Seal?
Shivaji Maharaja’s objective of establishing Swaraj was clearly expressed in his Royal Seal.
Who was Chandrarao More?
Chandrarao More of Javali in Satara district was a powerful Sardar in the Adilshahi, who was against the founding of the Swaraj.
When was Shivaji Maharaj bom?
Shivaji Maharaj was bom on 19th February, 1630 and as per Hindu Calendar on Phagun Vadya Tritiya, Shaka year 1551.
Find the odd man out:
Yesaji Kank, Baji Pasalkar, Tanaji Malusare the Mores of Javali
The Mores of Javali.
Portuguese, Siddi, British, Mughals
Give reasons for the following:
Shivaji Maharaj decided to acquire the forts that were within his own jagir.
- The forts situated within the jagir of Shivaji Maharaj were not under his control but were under the control of Adilshah.
- In those days, forts were of special significance.
- With a firm hold over a fort, it was possible to control the surrounding area. Hence, Shivaji Maharaj decided to acquire the forts that were within his own jagir.
Conquest of Javali increased Shivaji Maharaj strength in all respects.
- Shivaji Maharaj attacked Javali and captured the region in 1656 CE.
- Shivaji Maharaj established his post in Javali.
- He also captured Raigad. He attained a huge wealth from Javali.
- After this victory, his activities in Konkan increased.
- He built the Pratapgad fort in the Javali valley.
- In this way, the conquest of Javali increased his strength in all respects.
Bajiprabhu dies a hero’s death.
- Shivaji Maharaj left the fort using another difficult route.
- He was accompanied by Bajiprabhu Deshpande and some chosen soldiers.
- Bajiprabhu army pursued Shivaji Maharaj.
- Shivaji Maharaj entrusted the responsibility of stopping Siddi’s army at the foot of Vishalgad to Bajiprabhu Deshpande.
- Bajiprabhu Deshpande checked Siddi’s army at the Ghod pass near Gajapur.
- He fought with the greatest valour.
- Bajiprabhu died a hero’s death in the battle.
Find out and write:
Adilshah sent Siddi Jauhar, the Sardar of the Kamul region against Shivaji Maharaj in 1600 CE.
- Shivaji Maharaj captured the Adilshahi forts of Panhala, Vasantgad and Khelna.
- Shivaji Maharaj had posed a big challenge before the Adilshahi.
- Therefore, Adilshah sent Siddi Jauhar, the Sardar of the Kamul region against Shivaji Maharaj in 1660 CE.
Write in short about:
Defeat of Afzalkhan
- Badi Sahiba sent the powerful and experienced Afzalkhan to curb Shivaji Maharaj.
- A meeting between Afzalkhan and Shivaji was arranged at the foot of Pratapgad near Wai.
- At the meeting, Afzalkhan attempted treachery.
- In return, Shivaji Maharaj killed Afzalkhan and routed the Adilshahi army.
Royal Seal (Rajmudra)
- The objective of Shivaji Maharaj of establishing of Swaraj is expressed in his Royal Seal.
- The meaning expressed is that this seal will grow in splendour like the new moon. The seal of Shivaji, the son of Shivaji receiving homage from the whole world denotes the welfare of the people.
- Jijabai was daughter of the great Sardar Lakhujiraje Jadhav of Sindkhedraja in Buldhana district.
- At a young age, she had received military education along with learning various arts.
- She helped and encouraged Shahaji Maharaj to realise his dream of establishing Swaraj
- She was a competent and visionary political expert.
Observe the official seal of our country.
What features do you observe?
- Official seal is called the National Emblem of India.
- Elephant is in East, Horse in west (left), Bull south (right) and lion in North.
- There are four lions standings back to back, but in the emblem three are seen.
- There is a wheel under the lions.
- Underneath there are the words “Satyameva Jayate’ in Devnagri script.
In which places is the official seal used?
Coins, currency notes, postcards, envelops, passport and Government documents.